Tanning bed lotions have become increasingly popular among people who want to achieve a glowing, sun-kissed complexion. However, many individuals are left wondering if they can use tanning bed lotion outside. In this article, we’ll explore the answer to this question and provide you with everything you need to know about using tanning bed lotion for outdoor tanning.
How Does Tanning Bed Lotion Work?
Tanning bed lotion is a product designed to enhance your tan while using indoor tanning equipment such as a tanning bed or booth. It usually contains ingredients that accelerate the tanning process by stimulating melanin production in the skin, allowing for a deeper and longer-lasting tan. Additionally, tanning bed lotions often include moisturizing agents that help protect and nourish the skin.
Can You Use Tanning Bed Lotion Outside?
The short answer is yes; tanning bed lotion can be used outside. However, it’s important to note that not all tanning bed lotions are suitable for outdoor use. Some tanning bed lotions contain ingredients that can increase the skin’s sensitivity to sunlight, leading to sunburn or other adverse effects when exposed to UV rays from the sun.
Tanning bed lotion is applied in a controlled setting using Ultra Violet rays directed towards the tanning bed. The sun protection factor (SPF) is absent in most of these lotions since the inside tanned environment does not necessitate sunburn prevention.
Furthermore, tanning bed lotions have the ability to enhance rather than inhibit UV radiation resulting in a more tanned appearance.
Using indoor tanning bed lotion outside, you will have to cope with the fact that it does not contain sunscreen or waterproof components and may produce an oily and unappealing appearance.
For these reasons, tanning bed lotion should not be used outside.
What To Look For In Tanning Bed Lotion For Outdoor Use?
If you’re planning on using tanning bed lotion outside, it’s important to choose a product that is specifically formulated for outdoor use. Look for products that contain SPF (sun protection factor) to protect your skin from damage caused by UV rays from the sun. Additionally, choose a product that does not contain any ingredients that can increase the skin’s sensitivity to sunlight.
As we have mentioned above, it is not recommended to use tan bed lotion outside. However, it does not imply that doing so will not bring you any goods.
First, because this product is high in moisturizers, nutrients, and vitamins, it helps replenish moisture, nourish, maintain your skin healthy and not dehydrated, as well as reduce skin dryness when exposed to the sun.
Second, several types of tanning bed lotion contain tan enhancers, which implies that it continues to generate tan after sun exposure.
Last but not least, it contains antibacterial ingredients that remove unpleasant odors caused by sun-reactive tanning bed lotions.
Is There Any Way Can You Use A Tanning Bed Lotion Outside?
As previously stated, this type of tanning lotion should not be used outside. However, if you do not have an outdoor tanning lotion at hand, here are several tips that may be helpful.
- When you use a sunless tanner outside, it may give you a bronzed glow, yet, it will not protect you from damaging UV rays except if it incorporates sunscreen. As a result, do not forget to apply a layer of sunscreen before applying your tanning lotion, with the sunscreen going on first. You should choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF +30 to guarantee that your skin is well protected from the sun.
- In case you intend to swim at the beach or in a pool, ensure you reapply your sunscreen and tanning lotion afterward since the water may wash them away. Reapply the sunscreen after you are out of the water, even if it is water-resistant.
- You should not use tingle lotions because they include heat-activated ingredients in them. They increase melanin levels and increase blood flow to your skin thanks to the UV rays. If you are not well-protected with an SPF or sunscreen, it may harm your skin.
- Indoor tanning beds might be a little oily and shiny, so you can shower after you have been exposed to the sun.
Is It Possible To Combine Tanning Bed And Outdoor Tanning Lotions When Going Out?
The answer is no. Combining a tanning bed with outdoor tanning lotions is not wise since you will not get decent results.
Because the lotions do not spread uniformly, the mixing procedure can not mix well with the skin, resulting in an inconsistent tan hue and spots all over the body. Besides, adding sunscreen to the mixture may become too much for the skin to handle, and you may end up with oily skin.
You may need to moisturize your skin whether you combine the lotions since tanning can dehydrate the skin due to the heat. Some tanning bed lotions include a moisturizer to keep your skin hydrated while tanning, preventing peeling and dryness and extending the life of your tan.
Unfortunately, not all products are created equal, so seek one that has nutrients and vitamins to help maintain your skin hydrated and healthy while also decreasing wrinkles, dry skin, and premature aging.
Frequently Asked Questions
How To Use A Tanning Bed Lotion For The Best Result?
- Before tanning, you should shower and exfoliate, which helps get rid of any lotions or other things on the skin that can interfere with the tanning process. Additionally, having smooth skin may aid in achieving streak-free tanning.
- While taking a shower, make sure to remove any products from your skin. To prevent inconsistent coverage from the tanning bed lotion, you should fully dry out the skin.
- Besides, it is good to shave when you are in the shower because it prevents tanning lotion from building up around the hair follicles. Nobody wants a smattering of bronzed scars on their legs. Any area you intend to tan must be free of hair. Otherwise, the tanning bed lotion may linger in your hair follicles, causing uneven tanning and patches of bronzing.
- If you have flowing hair, you can tie it up and put on gloves to help shield the palms when applying the lotion.
- Choose something from the wardrobe that you do not even mind getting ruined because bronzers in most tanning bed products may darken once exposed to UV rays.
- In your hand’s palm, pour a considerable quantity of lotion. Because dry skin absorbs less UV light than moist skin, using too much is preferable to using too little. Then work the way up, starting with the feet.
- Apply the lotion uniformly to the skin. Apply a small amount of cream on your face, around your hairline, around your eyes, and your nostrils. It is mainly the case with bronzers. Begin by applying a tiny amount of your tanning bed lotion and gradually increase the amount.
- Additional cream can be applied to regions of your skin that appear paler than the rest. You always expect to seem tanned naturally, so remember to apply lotion to the neck as well.
Wipe the lotion off your hands’ palms and between the fingers before tanning. Otherwise, lotion can collect between your fingers, leaving them darker than the remainder of your hand, which is unattractive.
- Remain patient when utilizing the tanning bed. To avoid being burned, gradually raise the tanning duration. The bed is set on a clock and may shut off on its own. Unless the base tan seems not dark enough, you may increase the time.
- Before entering the tanning session, do not forget to apply the tanning bed lotion for 20 – 30 minutes.
If you are a newcomer to tanning, let’s start with this video first:
Is It Possible To Apply An Outdoor Tanning Lotion To A Tanning Bed?
The answer is no, of course. The reason is that acrylics are used in tanning beds. Mineral oils from your tanning lotion used outside may build up on the tanning bed and consequently cause cracks in the long run.
The effects of using an outdoor tanning lotion for tanning beds will not appear immediately. Instead, it will take some time to accumulate on the bed.
Also, outdoor tanning lotions are designed to meet the unique requirements of tanning outdoors. They contain SPF to protect your skin while also speeding up the tanning process when you are out in the sun.
So if you use them in a tanning bed, you can not make the most use of them.
Table of Contents
- How Does Tanning Bed Lotion Work?
- Can You Use Tanning Bed Lotion Outside?
- What To Look For In Tanning Bed Lotion For Outdoor Use?
- Is There Any Way Can You Use A Tanning Bed Lotion Outside?
- Is It Possible To Combine Tanning Bed And Outdoor Tanning Lotions When Going Out?
- Frequently Asked Questions