Our knee-jerk reaction to any type of discomfort on our body is to find ways to undo it. We bandage wounds, apply salicylic acid on active acne, and rub essential oils and cooling creams to soothe aching muscles.
But today, new technologies suggest that sometimes, all you need to do to address skin issues and body aches is to let your cells regenerate and do their thing. And one of the modern ways to enhance skin cell regeneration to improve skin and muscle tension is red light therapy.
It seems silly, I know. How on earth can exposing yourself to a randomly colored light help?
But many people rave about the powers of red light therapy, which is why it’s being adopted in many spas and skin treatment centers around the globe. It’s an amazing solution because of its benefits against wrinkles, acne, muscle pain, and even hair loss!
What is red light therapy?
Red light therapy is a technique wherein low-level, near-infrared light wavelengths are used to heal certain parts of the skin and body.
It’s usually done by exposing the area of your body you want to target to a panel or lamp of red light. You’ll feel warm and tingly, which means the red light is taking effect.
The light is absorbed by your cells’ mitochondria, the part of the cell in charge of generating power. The mitochondria then create more energy, promoting faster skin cell repair and turnover to heal persistent wounds and soothe tension.
It’s commonly used for skincare issues, like active acne or wrinkles. But it’s also excellent at revitalizing your muscles and skin tissues to get rid of any pain or discomfort from lesions or kinks.
Because it encourages your body to create more energy and increase cell resurfacing activity, many researchers believe that red light therapy can also effectively treat bone density conditions and hastening wound healing.
While you can purchase your own red light therapy machines and keep them on-hand at home, it’s always best to consult your trusted doctor about whether or not it’s a good therapy technique for you and your unique skin or muscle conditions.
What Are Factors To Consider When Choosing A Red Light Therapy Device?
The quantity of electricity that a particular part of your body gets over a fixed period when using the device is referred to as irradiance. You can also consider it as the rate at which energy is delivered.
Higher irradiance can lead to better effects in less time, which is essential to consider before purchasing a red light therapy device at home.
The most common unit of measurement for irradiance is milliwatts per square centimeter or mW/cm2, which is equivalent to 80 mW/cm2. Nevertheless, if the distance is not given, merely saying the irradiance measurement is meaningless. Several red light therapy devices get a high mW/cm2 reading on their surfaces but not on the object that is exposed to them.
Treatment coverage area
Whereas many people choose smaller devices to handle stretch marks and wrinkles, others may choose larger ones to get the most out of red light therapy at their home for hair loss, muscle recovery, joint pain, and even hormone balance.
If your budget allows, purchasing an at-home red light therapy device with the most coverage is excellent, as larger ones will emit more light energy and operate better than smaller units.
Also, larger devices will enable users to get straightforward access to the entire body red light therapy at an instant notice.
However, that does not mean smaller devices are not worthwhile investments. Several red light therapy devices are compact, allowing users to use them at home or elsewhere.
The most common wavelengths for red light are 660nm and 850nm. It is perfectly acceptable to function within these two parameters, either independently or in tandem.
Adding red light wavelengths, on the other hand, adding red light wavelengths is not a bad idea. 630nm, 660nm, 810nm, 830nm, and 850nm are five excellent wavelengths of red light, according to research, because they can cover a wide range of treatment areas.
Quality is not something you should overlook regarding devices used for your body.
Always seek certificates, or standards devices affirm the device’s authenticity and safety to avoid purchasing an unsafe or fake at-home red light therapy device. Notably, you should look out for two standards concerning the safety of the areas used and those related to light calibration.
Return and warranty policy
In addition to quality, you should always consider the return and warranty policy when purchasing any device, and an at-home red light therapy device is no exception. That is because no manufacturer can guarantee that the product will arrive and continue working in perfect condition after just several uses.
As a result, to protect your interests, prioritize choosing a product with a reasonable warranty period and refund policy.
Best At-Home Red Light Therapy Devices 2022
Hooga Red Light Therapy Device
This red light panel by Hooga comes with 60 LED lights in total to give you the most out of your red light therapy experience at home.
It’s perfect for deep tissue treatments in any part of your body. It’s an excellent way to help cells regenerate faster if your skin has trouble penetrating lotions, creams, and active skincare ingredients.
Its fan is super quiet, so it doesn’t disrupt your everyday life. It also helps out with even heat distribution as you expose your skin to the lights.
- High-powered wavelengths of red and near-infrared light at 660 and 850 nanometers, respectively, are 1:1.
- Panels deliver more than 100mW/cm2 of irradiance, and at 6 inches, they deliver at least 73mW/cm2.
- A two-year warranty is included.
- The led treatment may cause dry skin.
Anyork Red Light Device
This pocket red light device is small, so it’s portable and can be carried around in your purse. It’s a great pain relief tool to pull out if you have muscle cramps or tension in your fingers, back, neck, and more.
It has red light wavelengths and near-infrared lights, both of which are great for helping tissues and muscles relax when they’re feeling a bit tight.
- Compact and portable
- 660nm (Red) and 850nm (Blue) are two distinct wavelengths
- One-year warranty
- Simple to use
- The case is poorly constructed.
- They do not have enough width in the glasses.
DGXINJUN Infrared & Red Light Therapy
If your primary concern is soothing pain and tension from your joints, try out this red light therapy machine from DGXINJUN. It comes in the form of a wearable pad with strong velcro so that you can expose red light onto your primary target areas—elbows and knees—with ease.
The red light has a thermal effect on your muscles and tissues, encouraging blood flow. This can help make your muscles calm down, virtually taking away any discomfort or pain.
- Microplush fibers are thick but lightweight, providing maximum comfort for everyday use.
- Infrared light enters 30-40 mm deep, making it ideal for joint, bone, and deep muscle problems.
- Help to relieve pain and quicken joint recovery.
- It is guaranteed for one year.
- A timing controller is included, and an auto shut-off for 20 minutes.
- Its cord is too loose to fit into the device.
Wolezek Red Light Therapy Lamp
Do a low-maintenance red light therapy session at home by doing your errands and work under this red lamp by Wolezek. Its deep red LEDs are easily absorbed by the skin, allowing it to repair any wounds or scarring faster.
It’s also useful for pain relief when your muscles and joints have gotten the best of you during a busy day. Use it twice a day for around 10-20 minutes at a time to see a difference in how rejuvenated and healthy your skin and muscles can become.
- It comes with a red light therapy lamp that has been upgraded.
- The red light bulb has a 60-degree glass lens as well as an extra-large optical lens.
- Infrared heat is delivered to the body through this device.
- It is simple to use and long-lasting.
- A 12-month warranty is included a 30-day satisfaction or refund guarantee.
- It is a little heavy.
DGXINJUN Red Light Therapy Double-Sided Pad
If you’re battling rheumatoid arthritis or just have strained fingers and hand muscles from a long day of typing away at your computer, try out this double-sided red light therapy pad.
It was designed explicitly to soothe your fingers in an ergonomic position. It’s perfect for nerve injuries, carpal tunnel recovery, and any form of stiffness in the hands. Ease your strained fingers any time with this pad.
- The Pad is designed to be used on both sides.
- The ample internal space accommodates most people’s sizes.
- Timer for automatic shut-off.
- One-year warranty on all parts.
- It is suitable for all skin types and can be used multiple times per day.
- The instructions for use are a little confusing.
Quantum Rejuvenation Red Light Therapy Device
This FDA-approved red light therapy device is perfect for targetting tendon and joint pains. It delivers energy into your skin cells to provide fast relief and rejuvenation, without the side effects and drowsiness you get from your usual pain reliever.
The medical-grade red light source is totally safe, especially since it’s the same treatment you would get from your doctor.
This kit also comes with some sunglasses to prevent straining your eyes from the light emission.
- It is made in an FDA-registered facility with high-quality stainless steel housing.
- When used in conjunction with any other medication, it is entirely safe.
- The LED light source comes with a 5-year warranty.
- After a few minutes of use, it becomes extremely hot.
Serfory Store Red Light Device
Next time you’re dealing with any type of tension and discomfort in your body, skip out on the expensive masseuse. Lay down with this red lamp over your skin instead, and see how fast you can get some relief from the muscle aches.
Let your body bask in the red light for 10-15 minutes at a time to reap the full benefits of relaxing your muscles from head to toe. It’s also great for wound-healing, so make sure you expose areas of your skin with lesions too!
- The infrared lamp can penetrate your tissues deeply, providing better pain relief and making your skin more resilient.
- For 5 minutes each day, the infrared light illuminates to help ease discomfort and pain while also refreshing your daily life.
- It is guaranteed for one year.
- It is simple to use.
- The base is relatively small, and if pushed too far forward, it will easily tip.
PROALLER LED Red Light Device
This portable red light device has a sleek black design that makes it more stylish and modern-looking. It’s also designed with an anti-slip handle to keep you in control of where you point the light.
This device can help relieve you of pain and tension in your muscles due to arthritis, cramps, hip dysplasia, and more. The light is super safe on the skin and can even be used on your pets at home!
- There is a lifetime warranty on returns.
- It has a streamlined design coming with an anti-slip strip that makes it much easier to hold.
- It is both safe and straightforward to use.
- The laser does not charge or maintain a charge.
Project E Beauty Red Light Therapy Machine
Now, if your goal is skin rejuvenation and to firm up those fine lines and wrinkles, this red light machine by Project E Beauty may be the answer to your prayers.
It boosts collagen production in your skin in as fast as 15 minutes per session. Collagen production improves your skin’s elasticity, making it bouncier and firmer, thus reducing the appearance of skin aging. Tighten your skin and heal those pesky dark spots with this red light therapy device!
- The device emits no harmful UV rays.
- Improve your blood circulation.
- Improve the texture of your skin by firming it up.
- Reduces and prevents wrinkles and aids in the reduction of fatty areas.
- It is small and light.
- Without a lot of effort, it does not always light up.
Pulsaderm Red LED Light Therapy Technology
In as little as three weeks, this red light therapy device can improve those fine lines, crow’s feet, and wrinkles in your skin to expose glowy, tight, and firm skin. It can even help even out your skin texture if you’re having trouble with scarring!
The device releases light wavelengths at the optimal intensity to help address skin concerns due to aging. It painlessly penetrates the skin to give you the best results so that you can take back control of your youthful skin and self-confidence.
- The FDA approves it for use.
- Use a light therapy innovation developed by NASA to activate skin cells.
- Quick and straightforward to use, it should ideally be used three times a week in three-minute treatments.
- Use red LED light waves that are non-coherent and designed to penetrate deep into the skin.
- When charging, the device does not turn off.
Theralamp Red Light Therapy Infrared Heating Wand
This handheld lamp emits red light in high or low settings so you can concentrate your therapy treatment right where you need it most, at the level you’re most comfy with.
Direct the light wherever you’re feeling any muscle strain, be it your neck, elbows, back, knees, and anywhere in between. The red light will increase circulation and blood flow, which reduces stiffness and swelling.
The lamp comes with a safety cap to ensure no excess light will be emitted when you’re not ready to use it.
- Red light can be emitted at a high or low intensity.
- Boost circulation and blood flow.
- UVA and UVB rays are not emitted by the infrared heating light.
- It has an angled head that allows it to cover almost any area.
- The wand’s infrared head is not wide enough to cover a big enough area and relieve pain effectively.
Spa Sciences CLARO Blue & Red LED Acne Treatment Light Therapy System
This LED light therapy system comes in blue and red lights to treat your acne issues. The blue light cleanses the face and kills bacteria on your skin, while the red light penetrates deeply to soothe inflammation from active pimples.
Treating your skin to this therapy system is a lot more fuss-free than any ten-step skincare routine that could end up breaking you out even more. It’s dermatologist-approved and has no chemicals and UV rays that could be detrimental to your skin.
- LED wavelengths can help you get rid of acne.
- The calming LED red light improves the overall appearance of healthy skin.
- All skin types, including sensitive skin, are safe to use.
- FDA-approved, 100 percent UV-free, and chemical-free.
- Guaranteed for four months.
- The battery life is terrible.
DGXINJUN Red Light Therapy Pad for Foot Relief
If your pain and joint tension is concentrated in your feet, you might want to consider this red light therapy pad by DGXINJUN. It’s designed for you to slip your feet in whenever you need pain relief.
The pad hastens recovery time for tired feet and helps your muscles relax after a long day.
It also has a 20-minute automatic shut-off time, so your skin isn’t exposed to excessive red light.
- The entire product comes with a one-year warranty.
- Pad has a double-sided design.
- The light system is simple and fits around the targeted region hands-free at home or in the office.
- It would be preferable if a single wire connected both feet.
Trophy Skin RejuvaliteMD Red Light Therapy Lamp
This concave red light lamp is the perfect tool to incorporate into your anti-aging routine. It penetrates all the different layers of your skin to promote faster collagen production to boost radiance and skin resilience while minimizing fine lines and wrinkles.
It can also reduce the appearance of dark spots and scars, leaving you only with clear and smooth skin that’s refreshed and rejuvenated.
The lamp has 120 red light bulbs to be as effective as possible without being harsh on the skin.
- Help reduce fine lines and wrinkles on the face.
- Reduce the appearance of age spots and skin discoloration.
- The design is compact and portable.
- Reverse the effects of the sun.
- The eye goggles are made of plastic and are pretty small.
iRestore Laser Hair Growth System
To cap off this list, we have a red light therapy system for hair growth from iRestore. This system is easily worn on the head, so the red light can be emitted directly on your scalp area.
This FDA-cleared red light cap is designed to treat hair loss from conditions like alopecia and thinning due to aging. You’ll notice thicker, stronger, more luscious hair growing after consistent use of the system.
- FDA-approved red light cap.
- Money-back guarantee for six months.
- GMP-certified facilities were used to create this product.
- Lightweight, long-lasting, comfortable, hands-free, and simple to operate.
- After each use, several users have reported that they experienced a mild headache and itching in their scalp, which went away after a few hours.
Is it safe to use red light therapy device at home?
Yes, absolutely. Non-professionals can use the at-home red light therapy devices because they have a lower output than the in-office models. The better ones come with built-in safety features such as auto shut-offs or timers and heat regulators, which reduce the risk.
When handling energy-using devices, there are usually two variables involved: thermal energy and radiation injury. Fortunately, because LED is not a radiation form, neither may happen. LEDs do not emit sufficient energy to burn or discolor your skin.
Although most doctors say that LED masks are an effective and safe device for all types of skin if used correctly, you should use the one with FDA-approved to guarantee its quality and safety.
How To Use A Red Light Therapy Device At Home?
After you have bought a panel, pick a good location to place or hang it so that you can relax during the treatment. Next, turn the panel on while positioning your body so that the part you want to treat is facing it.
The area you are treating must be completely exposed to the light, with no clothing or fabric covering it. If it makes you feel at ease, you can cover the areas not being treated.
If you intend to treat facial wrinkles or some skin conditions on your face, we highly recommend wearing eye protection. Protective goggles are not required when treating other parts of the body. If you glance at the lights, they may seem so unlit or dim because close infrared light is at the far reaches of the visible spectrum. Although your eyes can not see it, the light is still incredibly bright to your body.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are There Any Negative Side Effects From Using A Red Light Therapy Device At Home?
The answer is yes, but the effect is rare.
In general, all skin types can benefit from the red LED light therapy, which is effective and safe. Because LEDs do not emit UV rays. So, they are considered a safer type of light therapy that may not harm your skin in the long run, and the procedure is also painless. However, there are still a few side effects.
If your skin is sensitive or darker, your doctor may suggest LED light therapy. LEDs, unlike more invasive procedures like laser therapy, LEDs do not cause skin burns. Additionally, they do not cause any discomfort.
Do not use LED light therapy if you are using anything on the skin, making you susceptible to sunlight.
You should also avoid the treatment if you presently have active skin irritation. In case you have psoriasis, consult your doctor. Red light therapy may be beneficial, but only if used with your usual prescribed treatment.
How Frequent Should Red Light Therapy Be Used?
You can repeat the targeted treatments three to five times per week till the condition you are treating shows signs of improvement. You can decrease it to two days per week for maintenance, even if daily treatments are not harmful to your body.
How Long Should You Use Your At-Home Red Light Therapy Device?
Because treatment times may vary depending on the particular conditions treated and personal sensitivity, there are currently no complex rules for the time you should use red light therapy. Despite that, below are several basic guidelines to follow. Do not forget that you should begin with shorter therapy sessions and work your way up to the optimum recommended time.
Regarding targeted treatment, like on the face, you should start with a 10-minute session and keep increasing to 20 minutes, maintaining the area treated 6 to 12 inches from your device.
Because the skin on your face is susceptible, do not go overboard with the duration or attempt to speed up the process by getting closer than the suggested distance. You will not be burned by red or near-infrared light the way you might be by UVA or UVB light, but keep in mind that more is not always better. Each day, treat no more than two or three parts.
Entire body treatment
Begin with a 10-minute session and progressively work up to a 20-minute session if you want to treat chronic skin conditions, large muscle groups that cover large regions, or general health improvement, maintaining your body 6 to 12 inches from your device.
Who knew that light could be so beneficial for our skin health and overall body wellness? Red light therapy is useful for everyone, whether you’re revamping your anti-aging skincare routine or need extra help rejuvenating aching muscles from sports and fitness excursions.
You should definitely invest in a red light therapy device for your personal care regimen. Its plethora of benefits will prove to be an asset in the long run for your health, self-confidence, and quality of life.
Table of Contents
- What is red light therapy?
- What Are Factors To Consider When Choosing A Red Light Therapy Device?
- Best At-Home Red Light Therapy Devices 2022
- Hooga Red Light Therapy Device
- Anyork Red Light Device
- DGXINJUN Infrared & Red Light Therapy
- Wolezek Red Light Therapy Lamp
- DGXINJUN Red Light Therapy Double-Sided Pad
- Quantum Rejuvenation Red Light Therapy Device
- Serfory Store Red Light Device
- PROALLER LED Red Light Device
- Project E Beauty Red Light Therapy Machine
- Pulsaderm Red LED Light Therapy Technology
- Theralamp Red Light Therapy Infrared Heating Wand
- Spa Sciences CLARO Blue & Red LED Acne Treatment Light Therapy System
- DGXINJUN Red Light Therapy Pad for Foot Relief
- Trophy Skin RejuvaliteMD Red Light Therapy Lamp
- iRestore Laser Hair Growth System
- Is it safe to use red light therapy device at home?
- How To Use A Red Light Therapy Device At Home?
- Frequently Asked Questions