Which essential oil brand is the best? Where can you get the best product? What are the best essential oil brands and companies? You might have asked these questions at some point if you fancy essential oils.
Perhaps you are being overwhelmed by the presence of multiple brands. The above questions are some of the key questions you should ask before purchasing any essential oil brand.
All essential oil companies are different. No brand is the same as another in a few ways, but in today’s article, we will look at the differences in methods and quality control, price, and product offering so you can select a company/brand that you won’t regret.
Top 8 Essential Oil Companies/Brands
To put together this review, we had taken the time to thoroughly research a few different essential oil companies and brands. Here are 8 of the best brands that we have found, and you can trust.
This essential oil brand has gained popularity in the U.S market for the past two decades. It kicked off its operations in 1993 as a multi-level marketing company. Now, its products can be found everywhere around the globe.
Young Living is committed to innovative farming and sourcing practices to offer customers only the best essential oils.
The company operates a therapeutic-grade control system, which manages the harvesting processes, and oversees the cultivation of the contents of the oil, and the distillation of their products.
The company has two in-house labs and more than a dozen independent labs to test the purity and efficacy of each essential oil batch that reaches the hands of the consumers.
And the oils are tested more than once. They will be scrutinized under the eyes of over 50 trained scientists at the company’s D. Gary Young Research Institute, too. Thus, you can rest assured that the essential oils you get from Young Living meets the standard.
Its products do not contain formaldehyde, artificial dyes, petroleum, mineral oil, sulfates, or parabens!
Young Living’s Thieves Essential Oil
The Thieves essential oil blend is one of Young Living’s best products. Apart from purifying essential oils, it includes clove, lemon, cinnamon bark, rosemary, and eucalyptus, all of which produce a rich, spicy aroma.
- For topical use, you can dilute one drop and apply as needed.
- For aromatic use, you can diffuse up to 10 minutes, three times each day.
Even better, this Young Living oil is vegan-friendly, kosher-certified, gluten-free, and cruelty-free.
Plant Therapy is a company that makes and sells products to essential-oil lovers, and the products tend to offer therapeutic uses.
All its products have been tested by reputable third parties. You can find the test results of the original products on the company’s website. Then, you can see for yourself what is in the product, its purity, and its efficacy.
Unlike other essential oil companies and brands, all of Plant Therapy’s products are organic and relatively inexpensive.
Plant Therapy Organic Essential Oils Set
This essential oil set of six is 100% pure and certified by USDA Organic. Included are lavender, lemon, peppermint, sweet orange, tea tree, eucalyptus globulus oils that can be diffused, applied topically, or combined with other ingredients to be a DIY home cleaner.
Each bottle is formulated to be kid-safe. So, the little ones from 2 to 10 years old can use it too.
If you have not given this set a try, it is not too late to! We bet you will love it just as much as we do. This oil set will impress you in terms of quality and quantity.
dōTERRA, which means “Gift of the Heart” was founded by a group of healthcare and business professionals in 2008 to offer pure, high-grade essential oils. Today the company sources, tests, manufactures, and distributes essential oil products in 18 international markets.
Each of dōTERRA’s essential oil bottles goes through a rigorous examination and a third-party test to ensure that the product is pure and free of contaminants as well as synthetic fillers.
The company actually conducts eight tests. First, there is an organoleptic test to detect purity. Then, there is the microbial test for the presence of biohazardous microorganisms. Next, gas chromatography and mass spectrometry look into the oil’s composition.
Following that is Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy, which checks the oil’s potency and consistent quality. The chirality test assures there are no synthetic elements and the isotopic analysis checks once more that the product is organic. Finally, there is a heavy metal test to verify that there are no heavy metals in the oils.
The company claims that it markets essential oils that may be suitable for every household because of the nice scents and aromas that relieve stress and soothe the wounded mind.
dōTERRA Lavender Essential Oil
This dōTERRA Lavender Essential Oil comes in a 15ml glass bottle and has a shelf life of 15 years. Its lavender scent can soothe mild skin irritations and effectively works against insect bites.
Before going to bed, you can also diffuse this lavender essential oil to relieve any feelings of stress and tension.
Combined with water in a spray bottle, this oil can be a great cleaning spray for freshening up linen closets, pillows, mattresses, and cars, as well.
Edens Garden is a top company that has been selling essential oils for more than 13 years. It is a family-owned, women-run brand offering oils in singles, blends, roll-ons, sets, and diffusers.
Its products do not contain synthetics, fragrances, fillers, or toxic chemicals, and are GC/MS tested in batches to ensure optimal quality, safety, and effectiveness. The products are ethically and sustainably sourced, and cruelty-free as well.
Edens Garden essential oils are assessed through a series of tests: organoleptic, refractive index, specific gravity, and GC/MS by third-party, independent labs to ensure transparency; then, they are analyzed again by in-house aromatherapists. So, customers can rest assured that they are getting only the best products.
Edens Garden Best Of The Best Essential Oil Set
This Edens Garden essential oil set is an amazing option for anyone interested in an all-around essential oil starter kit.
There are three bottles: a lavender one, a lemon one, and a synergy blend one that is also called fighting five. Each bottle is 10ml and comes with a built-in dropper.
You can dilute these essential oils in lotion to apply them topically or use them with a diffuser. There are plenty of uses for them – brightening moods, boosting immunity, and soothing the mind, to name a few.
The set itself is also nicely packaged, so you can get them as gifts for others too.
Aura Cacia is a leading essential oil company provider known for its essential oils with unique blends of flavors and therapeutic properties. Here, you can shop all your all-natural favorites.
The company always tests oils shipment in their labs through a rigorous testing procedure. This includes gas chromatography and mass spectrometry (GC/MS) testing.
Every single batch is tested to ensure the company delivers 100% pure essential oils to users for optimal aromatherapy benefits. Note: You can easily access the test results on Aura Cacia’s website.
Aura Cacia’s Discover Essential Oils Kit
Aura Cacia’s Discover Essential Oils Kit includes four bottles: lavender, tea tree, peppermint, and eucalyptus. They contain no synthetic colors or fragrances and are totally paraben and petroleum-free.
- Lavender is commonly used for relaxing, refreshing, and cleansing.
- Peppermint is used as a massage oil and in air fresheners for its cooling as well as energizing properties.
- Eucalyptus is fresh smelling and therefore great for cleansing.
- Tea tree has a strong, spicy scent, making it great for cleansing, especially as a refresher for garbage disposal between uses.
Rocky Mountain Oils
The Rocky Mountain Oils is an essential oil production company based in Orem, Utah. This company has been in business since 2004. It is one of the top brands, making essential oils that provide nice aromas alongside health benefits.
You can find essential oils as singles, blends, and kits here. They are pure plant extracts from flowers, grasses, fruits, roots, leaves, and trees, which can be used for aromatherapy purposes.
Like some of the companies we have mentioned above, Rocky Mountain Oils test its products gas chromatography and mass spectrometry or (GC/MS) testing. It does this through independent third parties.
Before the essential oils are bottled, sealed, and labeled, they would go through even more spot checks, organoleptic testing, and refractive index conducted by the in-house chemist for maximum quality assurance.
The company produces and packages its products based on a proprietary model called S.A.A.F.E Promise, which is short for Satisfaction, Authentic, Analysis, Free of Adulterants, Effective, and Pure. This includes a “no questions asked” 90-day product return policy.
Rocky Mountain Single Essential Oil Kit
The Rocky Mountain Single Essential Oil Kit has six bottles, one with a lavender fragrance, one with lemon, one with orange, one with peppermint, one with tea tree, and one with rosemary.
They are all fresh with highly potent aromas. You can enjoy them each through diffusion, topical application, and/or household use.
Spruce up your DIY bath bomb or massage session, give your home a refreshing scent, and relieve headaches and tension with these essential oils. They are one of the few ones to be GC/MS verified as a pure organic therapeutic essential oil, so you will surely not be disappointed.
Mountain Rose Herbs
The Mountain Rose Herbs Company is another essential oil producer dedicated to everything organic in nature.
This company says it strives to sell some of the finest quality essential oils, and it has been in the business since 1987.
You can find essential oil blends, kits, samplers, roll-ons, and diffusers. But there are hydrosols, flower waters, mists, sprays, perfumes, burnables, candles, salves, and more, as well.
Mountain Rose Herbs stands out from other essential oil companies with its long list of certifications:
- OTCO/USDA Organic: The company is a certified organic processor.
- NON-GMO Project Verification: To ensure ingredients used are not at risk of GMO contamination.
- Earth Kosher: To verify ingredients used are Pareve – meaning they do not contain dairy or meat.
Mountain Rose Herbs Peppermint Essential Oil
The Mountain Rose Herbs Peppermint Essential Oil is made fresh and very minty with herbaceous and a vegetative back note.
Unlike other products we have mentioned, this oil comes in a spray bottle. It has some culinary and pharmaceutical applications. It has been used for many years now as a therapeutic solution for soothing the digestive system. You can use it as a refreshing body spray, facial toner, and even other cosmetic uses, too.
As one of the company’s best-selling essential oils, you will surely be satisfied.
NOW Foods is a family-owned brand that is all about providing value through its natural products and empowering people to lead healthier lives. Today, NOW Foods manufactures and distributes no less than 1,400 natural foods, personal care products, and dietary supplements.
As a 50+ leader in the industry of natural products, NOW Foods holds multiple awards, including the 2022 Delicious Living Beauty & Body Bronze Awards, 2022 Delicious Living Beauty & Body Silver Awards, 2022 Clean Eating Magazine Clean Choice Awards, 2022 Delicious Living Supplement Awards, etc.
The company runs an in-house lab and uses third-party testing when necessary. Its essential oils all undergo gas chromatography and infrared spectrometry. An assortment of NOW Food’s essential oils are USDA-certified.
On its website, you can find essential oils by purposes: balancing, energizing and uplifting, meditating, purifying, cleaning, relaxing, romancing, etc.
Now Foods Organic Lavender Essential Oil
This is a lavender-scented essential oil extracted via steam distillation of organic flowering tops. It is highly concentrated, 100% pure, and you can rest assured it does not contain any synthetic ingredients.
You can use it in diffusers to breathe a soothing, fresh floral scent into any space and let it relax or stimulate your mind, melting away any feelings of tension and stress.
Some users have also reported using this essential oil on their skin to speed up the healing of cuts, grazes, and minor burns, as well as ease itching sensations of insect bites and cat scratches.
How Do I Choose a Good Essential Oil Company?
Strengthen your sense of smell
Smell is the key sense you need to rely on when evaluating essential oils. Hence, it is important that you strengthen your sense of smell. You should be able to tell between different plant scents, such as lavender, tea tree, orange, lemon, etc.
Check the information on the label
Always spare time to look at what is written on the label.
Important information that you should be on the label are:
- The common plant name and its Latin botanical name: Essential oils are made from plants. The labels of an essential oil bottle should have the common and Latin botanical name of the plant clearly shown, as this indicates to customers that the essential oil company or brand has actual knowledge of its oils.
- Part of the plant used: Different essential oils are made from different plants and different parts of the plant. So, it is necessary that the labeling on essential oil bottles specify the particular parts of the plants used. This indicates that the essential oil company or brand has nothing to hide and is truly knowledgeable about its products.
- Country of origin: Where the plants originate plays a role in the quality of the essential oil. As such, you want to be able to know this piece of information. You may want to reconsider getting an essential oil if the labeling is wishy-washy.
- Method of extraction: The extraction method can affect the quality, particularly purity, of an essential oil. So it is critical that it is clearly specified. Transparency regarding the extraction methods is a sign that the essential oil is reliable and the company or brand is worth trusting.
- All ingredients in the formula: The ingredients list should never be wishy-washy. If your essential oil bottle does not outline all its ingredients, you should certainly see it as a red flag. It is very important that you know what is in the product, especially if you have an allergy profile.
- Safety information, including precautions: Essential oil products should always have safety information and precautions on the labels. This ensures that you (as a buyer and user) are aware of potentially negative reactions to using essential oils, such as irritation and inflammation, and assures that you are using the essential oils correctly.
Keep in mind that if you are seeking pure essential oil, it must have only one ingredient.
You should avoid labels with words like “perfume”, “fragrance”, and “additional or added ingredients.” These words are indicators that your essential oil of choice is not pure.
In addition, you should not overestimate the meaning/value of essential oils that are labeled “therapeutic grade” or “aromatherapy grade.”
No U.S. governmental agency or generally accepted organization verifies essential oils as “therapeutic grade” or “aromatherapy grade.”
These terms are used as labels by some reputable companies and brands to denote the purity of their essential oils. But since the terms are not regulated by the FDA or any other agency, other companies and brands (that are not as reputable) can also use them to promote their products. That being said, you should not rely on just this label to underestimate or overestimate the quality of any bottle of essential oil.
Read feedbacks and reviews
Feedback and reviews are excellent resources that you can take advantage of to assess whether an essential oil company or brand is worth your time, effort, and money.
Nowadays, you can easily access feedback and reviews online, but you should be attentive and look at many different sources, not just one. Do not blindly believe the first feedback/review you come across.
Also, remember that feedback and reviews can come in many forms. Check them all: website comments, blog posts, Youtube videos, etc.
Look at the product offerings
This can also be understood as “selection,” or “selection of products.” Essentially, does a company or brand have a lot of products for you to choose from? Are the product lines diverse and how are they diverse?
It is better to shop at a company or brand with a wide selection of products for a few different reasons.
- You have more choices to consider.
- You have a higher chance of finding a good match with your preferences.
- More choices is an indicator that the company or brand is researching and innovating (constantly) to offer more for the customers.
It is necessary to take some time to look at all these factors before proceeding to settle on an essential oil company or brand and making your purchase. So, never forget to assess these aspects.
Look at the bottle material
Bottle material is another good indicator of the quality of essential oils. Most oils will come in dark-colored glass bottles, and these bottles are usually in sizes of 4 ounces or less. Be aware of essential oils sold in plastic and clear containers. This is because oils can dissolve plastic and quickly contaminate the oil quality.
But some companies and brands will vend essential oils in such containers to cut down costs. In that case, ask them how long the oil has been stored in the plastic containers before shipment. Note: The less time the oil has been stored in plastic bottles, the better.
Alternatively, a few companies and brands will use aluminum bottles. This is very common if the essential oils are sold in bulk or in large quantities. As long as the insides of the bottles are lined, aluminum bottles are acceptable.
If you are getting essential oils in small sizes, make sure you do not get ones with rubber eyedropper bulbs on top. The oil can liquefy the rubber over time and so, will deteriorate the quality of the oil. Instead, you should look for ones in bottles with an orifice reducer or euro dropper made of non-melting materials.
Verify the source
A trustworthy source should be able to:
- Provide detailed information about the essential oils sold
- Show that they have a relevant educational background, experience, and expertise
To verify this, talk to the company or brand directly. If you are buying online, try calling or emailing them. Asking questions is a great way to see if the companies or brands truly know the essential oils being sold.
Compare the price
As with any other product, price is an aspect that cannot be overlooked.
Every company or brand will have its own pricing scheme, and this is the result of not one but many different factors, like production costs, demand, brand value, etc.
Even if we do not know exactly why a company or brand prices its oils the way it does, as shoppers, we need to decide for ourselves if the company/brand’s price range is right for us – something we are willing and able to afford.
Some companies and brands have low-priced essential oils while others will only sell very expensive essential oils. This can be because the companies and brands are targeting different groups of customers. So, do not always take a lower price tag as an indicator of lower quality, and vice versa.
When you are considering the prices, aside from comparing between companies and brands, you should compare essential oil products of the same brand.
An essential oil brand that has different prices for different types of essential oils may be a better choice because you have more options to choose from and more budget flexibility.
Moreover, if a company or brand sells all of its essential oils for the same price, there is a high chance the oil quality is not up to par. They have probably been adulterated with synthetic, cheap fragrances, a similar but cheaper essential oil, or vegetable oil. In this case, they would not be oil “blends” and not pure.
4 Factors That Affect the Quality of Essential Oils
There are 4 factors you should look into while examining the quality of essential oils.
The first factor refers to the plants that the essential oils are derived from. Here, you should know how the plants are grown, nourished, and cultivated, which are all parts of the complete procedure of producing essential oils.
Knowing this will give you insight into the origin and source of a product and decide whether the product is of high quality. Specifically, you should be aware of:
- Whether pesticides and other chemicals are used on the plants
- What the climate condition is like in the area
- What the level of rainfall is in the area
The second factor is the process that follows from when the plants are cultivated are the stages where they are produced and extracted.
For this, you will want to focus on quality and method control. Essentially, this is how a company or brand turns its ingredients into an essential oil product.
There are two things to note about this:
- The more efficient, the more affordable you can expect.
- The stricter this is, the higher quality and assurance you can expect.
Essential oils can be extracted in several ways, such as distillation, pressing, solvent extraction carbon, and dioxide extraction. They each affect the purity of essential oils distinctly.
The third factor is how the essential oils are packaged and processed from there. In essence, poor packaging is an indicator of lower quality and vice versa.
So, again, you will need to consider the quality and method control. A good product would have been handled in appropriate conditions: without excessive oxygen, light, and heat exposure.
The fourth factor refers to the storing procedure, which is everything done after the essential oil is made and packaged.
How is it stored? Where is it stored? Knowing the answer to these two questions can assure you of the quality of your product. In general, essential oils have to be stored in airtight containers, and these containers should be kept in a cool place.
Together with the factors above, you can determine if an essential oil is of quality and if a company or brand is worth trusting.
Are essential oils good for you?
Essential oils can be good for you, given all of the potential benefits they bring. However, that does not mean they cannot be bad, too. Here are several ways that they can negatively affect you:
- Essential oils can potentially cause allergic reactions with symptoms, such as a runny nose, sneezing, coughing, watery eyes, etc.
- Essential oils applied topically can lead to redness, itching, swelling, hives, and even burns.
- Essential oils can irritate pets, like cats and dogs.
What are the benefits of essential oil?
Here are some of the key benefits that you can get from using essential oil:
- Anti-microbial: Hence, you can use them as a DIY house cleaner and to take care of minor cuts and wounds.
- Ease pain: They can alleviate the pain that comes with headaches, colds, and cases of the flu.
- Be used in skincare: Many are applied topically to control acne, reduce inflammation, soothe itching, etc.
- Complement spiritual applications: As you see in films and stories, they can complement prayers, meditation, and yoga.
Different types of essential oils will deliver different benefits. For example:
- Rosemary can support concentration.
- Lavender can promote relaxation and restful sleep.
- Clary Sage can soothe negative emotions like anxiety and stress.
- Grapefruit can boost alertness and reduce feelings of fatigue or sluggishness.
- Sandalwood can be used as an aphrodisiac and to set the mood for romance.
How should I use essential oils?
How you use essential oils depends on the specific benefits you are seeking.
There are several ways to use essential oils, including:
- Use essential oils in the bath
- Use essentials oils with a humidifier
- Use essentials oils as a DIY home cleaner
- Pour essential oils into a candle to freshen up a space
- Use essentials oils with a diffuser to make a space smell pleasant
- Inhale the essential oils using the steam method or dry evaporation method
- Apply essential oils on the skin after diluting with a carrier oil or water
Some places to apply the diluted essential oils are:
- Forehead, temples, and the back of the neck to relieve headaches
- Behind ears and along the neck to relieve earaches
- Areas of burned or inflamed skin
- Areas of skin with bug or insect bites
- Arms, wrist, legs, and ankles to repel insects
- On the back to alleviate soreness and pain
- On the abdomen to relieve stomachaches and menstrual pain
- On your feet to kill smell-causing bacteria and get rid of foot odor
Note: To ensure that is it safe to use essential oils this way, make sure you always do a patch test first.
Some areas you should avoid applying essential oils, even if they are diluted:
- The eyes and the skin around them
- The inner ears and the inner nose
- The genitals
How can you tell if essential oils are fake?
It is not easy to tell if essential oils are fake, but it is not impossible either. Aside from the factors we have mentioned above, here are tips you can use to identify them:
- Do a ring test using a white strip of paper. Put one drop of essential oil on the surface of the paper strip and let it dry. It a ring forms on the paper after the oil has dried, then the oil is not pure but likely diluted with carrier oils.
- Compare the feel of the essential oil to the feel of vegetable, nut, or seed oil. Drop one of the former on your left index finger pad, and one of the latter on your right index finger pad. Authentic oils should feel a little slip but not greasy or thick.
- Give the essential oil a sniff. It should smell a bit different across different bottles. If you smell the exact same scent over and over, there is a chance it is chemically made to smell that way – and is thus, fake.
Are all essential oils the same quality?
No. Essential oils can vary in terms of quality. The value of an essential oil relies on many different factors, like the ones we mentioned above. Moreover, just like any other species, plants can differ despite being the same species. And this fact, alone, can explain why all essential oils do not have the same quality.
Are any essential oils FDA approved? Yes or No? Why?
The FDA does not regulate and verify essential oils for their quality and purity because they do not count as a cosmetic or a drug, and so, do not meet the standard for safety or effectiveness of the agency for benchmarking.
That being said, an essential oil company or brand claiming that its oils are approved by the FDA is a red flag, and you should reconsider putting faith in its products.
All the essential oil companies and brands that we have mentioned above are our picks as contenders for the best.
But of course, you are free to do more research on other companies and brands. In any case, make sure you do not forget the factors to consider—methods and quality control, price, and product offering—to decide on a company or brand.
Once you have set your eyes on an essential oil company or brand, share it with us in the comments. We (and other readers) would love to hear from you!
Table of Contents
- Top 8 Essential Oil Companies/Brands
- How Do I Choose a Good Essential Oil Company?
- 4 Factors That Affect the Quality of Essential Oils