What Is Blue Light Therapy?
Photodynamic therapy, also known as blue light therapy, is light treatment for treating damaged or diseased skin.
It works by combining medications known as photosensitizing agents with a particular wavelength of blue light to remove abnormal skin cells while preserving the surrounding tissue.
Benefits of Using Blue Light Therapy
Suits all skin types
Whether you have oily skin, dry skin, or normal skin, blue light therapy works for everyone. Since it is a non-invasive procedure it is gentle and does not cause any side effects.
Best for Treating Acne
Blue light therapy has been clinically proven to be effective against acne. It reduces acne, soothes inflammation, and reduces redness too.
According to the AAD, light therapies promise to treat acne, with several people seeing considerable improvement. Even so, the organization cautions that effects differ by person and that acne is doubtful to be cleared entirely. Furthermore, a person will require multiple sessions, with results not appearing for several weeks since the last treatment.
In several studies, blue light therapy has been shown to help those with acne. Nevertheless, according to a 2019 review, several of these studies are limited, and none of them lasted over 12 weeks. The authors state insufficient evidence to fully support its use and advise doctors to evaluate the pros and cons before making a recommendation.
Easy to use at Home
To benefit from blue light therapy you don’t need to spend a fortune. You can use blue light therapy devices in the comfort of your home. Light therapy devices have a treatment cycle of a few minutes every day and hence, they can easily blend into your daily skincare routine.
No Recovery Time
Light therapy is a painless and safe way to repair and rejuvenate the skin and hence, there is no recovery time needed. It can be used as a part of your normal routine without any downtime.
How do I choose the Best Blue Light Therapy Device?
You must always take the product’s cost into account for any purchase. However, remember that a high-end item may be less expensive than seeing a dermatologist for frequent clinical treatment procedures. In the end, it is a one-time investment, so choose something that gives you the best bang for your buck.
Most blue light therapy equipment is available in a standard size, spot treatment, and face mask. You can select any of these options based on your preferences. When you just want to zap several zits and be completed, the spot treatment size seems to be ideal. Also, consider a light therapy face mask to treat a larger area in a single session when you need more intensive therapy for your entire face.
Some treatments take only a few minutes, while others take much longer. Also, keep in mind that using a relatively small spot treatment equipment to cover a larger area of your face will take more time. It may be challenging to fit into a busy schedule.
A device’s portability determines whether you may take it with you or utilize it just at home. If you travel a lot and want to use your device, look for a battery-powered or rechargeable alternative. You should choose what works the best for you since a corded device can be helpful if the design is lightweight and compact.
Blue light therapy devices now have many new features to improve convenience and provide a better experience. So, you should look for LED screens, built-in timers, and eye safety goggles, among other things.
Top 13 Blue Light Therapy Device at home 2022
Pulsaderm Face Mask
The Pulsaderm face mask combines blue and red light therapy to clear acne breakouts. The non-UV technology works to kill the acne-causing bacteria and enhance the appearance of your skin.
This easy to use face mask needs no extra attachments or parts. Treating your skin with this FDA approved device for 10 minutes will give you freedom from acne.
The auto-off feature of the mask adds to its safety and prevents users from overusing the mask. Grab your chance to achieve blemish-free skin with this efficient device.
- Acne is treated with a combination of red and blue non-UV LED innovation.
- Acne breakouts should be treated and cleared.
- Safe to use daily.
- The daily use of this product helps to prevent potential breakouts.
- There are no replacement parts required.
- According to the instructions, this product is only for mild to medium acne.
Me Clear Blue Light Device
Say hello to beautiful skin with this Me Clear device that has a patented tri-action technology. The device treats acne, pimples, and scars by bringing together blue light, sonic vibration, and warm heat.
While blue light fights acne, the sonic vibration works to reduce swelling and inflammation. The gentle heat opens the pores of the skin to ensure deep penetration of the light.
This device is an affordable and effective way to get the skin you always dreamed of. It is portable, chargeable, and can be used 3 times a day with a single charge.
- This product features a patented tri-action technology.
- The sonic vibration reduces swelling and inflammation.
- It is rechargeable, portable, and can last up to three days on a single charge.
- It appears to work only on inflammatory acne, so it will not help with whiteheads or blackheads.
Pure Daily Care Skin Wand
This skin wand from Pure Daily Care is one of the most powerful in this list. It features 4 different modes that you can use to treat your skin successfully.
It has LED therapy, galvanic channeling, wave penetrating cell stimulation, and massage therapy.
The blue light therapy in this device is especially useful if you are dealing with frequent acne breakouts and inflammation. It has an ergonomic design, is portable, and chargeable too.
It also has an inbuilt-timer, an LED screen, and 2 vibration modes for your convenience.
By combining light therapy with other modes, this device works to give you acne-free, toned, and younger-looking skin.
- There are four powerful and natural technologies to choose from.
- Wave Penetration technology lifts and firms the skin while keeping the moisture, resulting in a significant increase in elastin and collagen production.
- You can quickly build your custom treatments thanks to advanced functionality like an LED display.
- A high-quality lithium-ion rechargeable battery.
- Because the metal piece in the center is quite extensive and extends so far from the source of light, it is difficult to tolerate areas of the skin being exposed to the light.
Rejuven 2.0 Facial Toning Machine
The Rejuven facial toning device is a combination of light therapy, vibration, galvanic ion, and wave penetration.
This 5-in-1 facial device works to combat several skin problems and give you healthy and youthful skin.
It features light therapy including blue light that helps to fight acne, blemishes, and many signs of aging. The technologies of this device work to remove impurities from the skin and return its shine.
Also, the device is easy to use and comes with control buttons to help you choose the best treatment.
- A 5-in-1 skincare mechanism combining tried-and-true technologies to provide treatment.
- Wave innovation aids penetration beyond the dermal layer.
- Skin will become tighter and suppler, with reduced wrinkles and fine lines.
- Straightforward to work with.
- It appears to be challenging to maintain a constant level of charge.
Amazing 3-in-1 Skin Therapy
If you are looking to improve your skin then this Amazing PDT LED device is a must-have. This professional device gives a boost to the production of collagen and elastin in the skin and also enhances elasticity.
It produces different wavelengths including blue light. It is a UV-free therapy device that reduces acne, fights wrinkles, blemish and also combats many other signs of aging.
The device is accompanied by protective goggles that act as a protection for your eyes. With its money-back guarantee feature, you can claim a refund if the device does not match your expectations.
- A therapy device that does not use UV light.
- Protective goggles are worn in addition to the helmet.
- It is simple to use.
- The plug-in part connecting to the light is quite loose, and it will shut off once you even touch or move it.
Project E Beauty Blue Light Therapy
Skip the expensive salon visits and get beautiful skin in the comfort of your home with this blue light therapy device from Project E Beauty.
It features 40 blue LED bulbs that ensure photon rejuvenation while also taking care of acne.
You can choose from 2 modes; constant and pulse to treat your skin. While the first mode provides a constant light, the second mode emits a short pulse of light energy.
It emits natural blue light waves of 415nm that penetrate the skin. This can help in tightening the sagging skin, fighting oily skin, healing scars and wounds, and also soothing inflammation.
- Developed for improving your appearance, this device uses natural light waves transferred into the skin by LEDs.
- The collagen remodeling is stimulated by 40 blue LEDs, resulting in a firm and seamless skin texture.
- There are no UV rays.
- Design for safety.
- It is pretty pricey.
Lift Care Wireless Therapy
If you want acne-free skin without undergoing expensive treatments, then get home this wireless therapy device.
With a combination of blue and red LED lights, the Lyte handheld device can help you to achieve the desired skin.
The blue light penetrates the skin and kills the acne-causing bacteria effectively. This wireless device operates on batteries and hence, you are saved from the hassle of charging.
You can also get rid of wrinkles, scarring, inflammation, and many other skin problems with this machine.
The automatic contact sensors activate the device only when it is placed near the skin. This way it protects your eyes from the LED lights.
- By removing bacteria, 36 LIGHT BEADS help reduce the appearance of breakouts.
- Built-in lithium battery for wireless charging.
- The hyaluronic acid serum is included to help improve skin tone seamless skin texture and reduce irregular pigmentation.
- When placed on the skin, the sensor does not automatically turn on.
Spa Sciences Blue & Red Light Therapy
The Spa Sciences blue light therapy is an FDA cleared device that makes acne treatment a painless and easy one. With its 2-in-1 innovative LED light technology, this handheld device deals with acne like a pro.
The blue light destroys the bacteria while the red light soothes the inflammation. You can choose the red or blue light as an attachment head and treat your skin accordingly.
With a built-in timer feature, you can rest assured that you won’t be over-treating your skin. It also has a sleek body, USB charging, and a power switch.
- LED wavelengths help to clear acne.
- Acne-related bacteria are targeted by blue and red LED light therapy, which speeds up the healing process of mild acne.
- All skin types, including sensitive skin, will benefit from this product.
- It takes a long time to notice a change.
Project E Beauty Luma Blue Therapy Device
To give your face a complete treatment and pampering get your hands on this blue light therapy device from Project E Beauty.
From fighting acne to cleaning pores and exfoliating dead skin to balancing oil and water, this device can do it all.
The blue LED light with 415 nm wavelength acts effectively against acne and inflammation too. Apart from pimples it also treats large pores, blackheads, and oily skin.
It is power-packed with features like a 360-degree rotating bristle, safety infrared sensor, UV sterilization, and FDA clearance. Give your skin the treatment it deserves with this device without visiting any salon.
- FDA-approved for efficacy and safety.
- Treat acne for 3 minutes with blue light photon therapy.
- When charging begins, it emits ultra-violet light for 20 minutes.
- The dirt is thoroughly cleansed deep within the pores with a 360-degree facial massage.
- It is pretty pricey.
Lift Care Rejuven Anti-Aging Device
LED light therapy is known to have umpteen benefits for your skin. This Rejuven anti-aging device packs the benefits of four LED lights into one device to give you nothing but the best.
This LED light therapy device is clinically proven to combat several skin issues leaving it youthful.
With the blue LED light you can treat acne as it kills the bacterium in the skin. You can choose the device to operate in continuous or pulsed mode.
You can improve the skin texture, tone, and also get the collagen production on track with this device to your rescue. Since the LED lights are UV-free it does not cause any damage to the skin.
- The new version includes a power base for hands-free use.
- UV-free LED lights in four distinct wavelengths are used.
- Pulsing, Flash, and Stable are three different light modes.
- It is simple to use.
- Snapping the pieces on and off is difficult.
Chitronic Sonic LED Device
This sonic LED device will take away your skin worries with its new generation facial cleansing technology. Firstly, the device gives your skin a deep cleansing treatment with vibrating silicone bristles.
To make it even more effective there are three modes to exfoliate your skin. The blue LED light performs the normal cleansing function.
It operates at 470+/- 5nm wavelength to balance the oil production, shrink large pores, and make the skin smooth.
Similarly, there is a red LED function and a purple LED function that also contribute to the betterment of your skin.
- 360-degree Silicone brushes that can be used in any direction.
- There are three different working modes.
- There are three different sonic vibration modes, ranging from weak to strong.
- One-year warranty from the manufacturer of the brand.
- The vibration is not powerful.
Project E Beauty Rejuvenation Therapy
If you are looking for an anti-aging device then look no further than this light therapy from Project Beauty. Its blue, red, and green lights work in combination to give you the best skin results.
The blue light wavelength of 465+/- 3nm helps to reduce acne, spots, shrink pores, and improve elasticity too.
The red and green light wavelength also aid in making your skin youthful and promoting its wellbeing.
This UV-free, non-invasive device releases low-frequency sound waves that repair and restore the skin cells. It is easy to use and has 3 intensity levels to choose from. This gives you full control over the light that is penetrating your skin.
You also get a 1-year warranty against any defects. Thus, if anything goes wrong with the device you always have support.
- Red, Blue, and Green LED Colors
- One-year maintenance
- Three intensive level
- All skin types are suitable.
- Ergonomic design
- You must purchase the ion gel individually to use the product.
Norlanya Face Mask with LED Light
With the Norlanya face mask, you can address several skin problems that might be worrying you. This light therapy mask is a safe and pain-free way to rejuvenate the skin and take it back to the younger days.
The blue light wavelength that ranges between 430-450 nm kills the bacteria in the pimples and also soothes the skin. The red and green lights also help to combat fine lines, wrinkles, and blemishes on the face.
With a simple to operate controller, you will be able to operate the mask. You can set the timer, switch the light color, and also adjust the heat levels just by pressing the desired buttons on the controller.
- Natural, painless light treatment for various skin issues.
- There is no recovery period or special considerations needed with this simple protocol.
- All skin types, including sensitive and dark skin, are safe, and people of all ages can use this product.
- The procedure only takes a few minutes and treats the entire face.
- It is a bit heavy side
What to Use With Blue Light Therapy for Acne?
You can use a variety of skin care products in conjunction with your blue light therapy treatment.
EltaMD Foaming Facial Cleanser
It contains bromelain, a pineapple enzyme that lessens acne inflammation, as well as apple amino acids to moisturize the skin. It also softly lifts and washes away impurities, leaving the acne skin balanced and clean.
Caudalie Vinopure Skin Perfecting Serum
This serum contains salicylic acid (BHA) that chemically unclogs pores and lessens breakouts. Also, it enhances skin texture and reduces the appearance of pores.
Replenix Retinol Regenerate Dry Serum
It is a dry serum containing green tea high in polyphenols, which are powerful antioxidants that keep your skin from damage caused by free radicals and collagen breakdown.
It is also an excellent acne treatment due to its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Blue Light Treatment Safe?
Blue light appears to be safe, with only minor side effects. It does not emit UV rays, and there is no scientific proof that it causes skin cancer or premature aging.
Blue light therapy does not show up to have any serious long-term side effects when used correctly. However, minor side effects, including dry skin, stinging, changes in skin color, itchiness, and irritation, may occur. These, on the other hand, usually go away after treatment.
People with porphyria, which is a rare blood disorder causing increased sensitivity to light, should avoid blue light therapy. Individuals with a porphyrin allergy or lupus should not also experience this treatment.
Likewise, blue light therapy is not suggested for people who suffer from photosensitivity disorders, which cause sensitivity to the sun. If they use them, they may experience irritation, sun sensitivity, or peeling.
Can Blue Light Therapy Make Acne Worse?
The answer is no. Although it has happened on occasion, most people using blue light therapy do not tell that their acne worsens. Also, there is no evidence in any clinical study that acne may get worse before it improves.
The key to success with acne light therapy is to carefully follow the instructions, just like you would with any other health treatment. The instructions coming with the light are mainly designed to keep acne from worsening and make sure that it improves as quickly as possible.
Why is Blue Light Therapy Good for Acne?
Acne develops in the skin’s pores. There is an oil-producing gland within every pore. Although this oil gland maintains your skin healthy, dirt, oil, and dead skin cells may get trapped inside the pores and clog them. Bacteria on the skin called Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) can also get inside the pores, causing your clogged pores to expand and convert into acne bumps.
Blue light has an antimicrobial effect, which means it can kill various bacteria accumulating in the pores and oil glands and end up causing breakouts.
Blue light therapy helps condition the skin by removing free radicals, causing your face to age and oxidize. It also has anti-inflammatory properties, which reduce other acne signs like redness.
As a result, many dermatologists now offer blue light treatment for those with acne, and it has become a potential treatment for acne patients who want to avoid using traditional topical medications and treatments.
How Long Does Blue Light Therapy Take For Acne Results?
A single treatment of phototherapy is uncommon. To begin, several phototherapy rounds are strongly suggested, with two to three treatments per week spread out over four to six weeks.
Following that, the treatment’s impacts may need to be preserved with follow-up therapies every three months or more.
In several people, phototherapy can also reduce swelling and the number of pimples. Blue light therapy has been shown in studies to help clear acne by almost 70% in just eight to ten treatment sessions.
How Often Should You Use Your Blue Light Therapy Device For Acne?
Try using it once a day for the first 45-60 days after starting blue light therapy. Afterward, you can use it more frequently, up to three times per day, depending on your preferences.
We highly recommend incorporating light therapy into the skincare routine and using it at least two times a day — once in the morning and another before bed. It will be much easier to maintain consistency this way.
When it comes to light therapy, people’s skin is distinct and will react differently. We recommend consulting with your favorite health or skincare expert and taking before and after photographs to track your progress.
Which Light Therapy Is Best For Acne: Blue or Red?
To tell the truth, both light therapies are good for acne skin.
Blue light has an antimicrobial effect and a shorter wavelength, helping kills acne-causing bacteria on the surface of the skin. It also has anti-inflammatory properties, which reduce other acne symptoms like redness.
On the other hand, red light has a longer wavelength, allowing it to enter deeper into your skin. According to some research, red light is more helpful in treating deeper targets such as the sebaceous glands. Although red light therapy lacks the antibacterial properties of blue light therapy, it still can be beneficial because it has anti-inflammatory properties, aids in the healing process, and may reduce the appearance of acne scarring.
Both red and blue light therapy can shrink the sebaceous glands, resulting in less oil production. Both light therapies have been seen to be reasonably safe, with only a few adverse effects. However, these devices will not be able to replace acne treatments such as retinoids.
Can You Use Red and Blue Light Therapy Together?
Yes, you certainly can. Using red and blue light therapy together to treat acne is more effective than using only blue light. That is because while blue light kills acne-causing bacteria underneath your skin’s surface, red light helps reduce inflammation and speeds up healing.
Blue light devices are best suited for fighting acne problems on the skin. Though many other treatment options are available today, some of them are expensive while others may send jitters down the spine.
Table of Contents
- What Is Blue Light Therapy?
- Benefits of Using Blue Light Therapy
- How do I choose the Best Blue Light Therapy Device?
- Top 13 Blue Light Therapy Device at home 2022
- Pulsaderm Face Mask
- Me Clear Blue Light Device
- Pure Daily Care Skin Wand
- Rejuven 2.0 Facial Toning Machine
- Amazing 3-in-1 Skin Therapy
- Project E Beauty Blue Light Therapy
- Lift Care Wireless Therapy
- Spa Sciences Blue & Red Light Therapy
- Project E Beauty Luma Blue Therapy Device
- Lift Care Rejuven Anti-Aging Device
- Chitronic Sonic LED Device
- Project E Beauty Rejuvenation Therapy
- Norlanya Face Mask with LED Light
- What to Use With Blue Light Therapy for Acne?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Is Blue Light Treatment Safe?
- Can Blue Light Therapy Make Acne Worse?
- Why is Blue Light Therapy Good for Acne?
- How Long Does Blue Light Therapy Take For Acne Results?
- How Often Should You Use Your Blue Light Therapy Device For Acne?
- Which Light Therapy Is Best For Acne: Blue or Red?
- Can You Use Red and Blue Light Therapy Together?